This morning, we finished up a book study of Philippians ... wow, there is a lot of GREAT stuff in Philippians!
Some of my favorite lessons learned:
- Joy is found in focusing on Jesus first, others second, and yourself last.
- Prayer is a privilege not a duty.
- We can't engineer problem-free events, and we can't make people live in the way we want them to live. About the only thing we can control is our own response to life situations.
- It's only when we truly embrace the infinite resources provided by Christ that we find the capacity to stop our selfish grasping for lesser things. When secure in Him, we are freed up to become "others-centered".
- What people think of me matters NOT. What they think of God matters ALL.
- The path to a joy-filled life of contentment and peace is by learning to meditate on what God says is true... my life will never change until my mind is changed!
One of the greatest things I read in this book came in the last chapter ... I aspire to wake up and remember this paragraph every morning. How awesome would it be if we all truly let these words SINK IN - and allowed them to direct each day!?! You've just gotta read this more than once ... I sure did!
I will be grateful for the twenty-four hours that are before me. I refuse to allow what little time I have to be contaminated by self-pity, anxiety, or boredom. I will face this day with the joy of a child and the courage of a giant. I will drink each minute as though it is my last. When tomorrow comes, today will be gone forever. I will use it for loving and giving. Today I will make a difference. (~from On the Anvil by Max Lucado)